If forced to choose just one food to eat forever, it’s pizza and deep dish pizza specifically. And this Deep Dish Pizza Dough recipe means I can have pizza often!! As in almost once a week. It’s just so easy, cheaper than delivery and I can make it anywhere the boat is docked or anchored.
Making Deep Dish Pizza Dough on a Boat
I make my pizza in an eight-inch cake pan – no need for a special pan when space is at a premium on a boat! I actually double up the thickness by using two cake pans (one inside the other) as this helps keep the bottom from burning in the propane oven. For those of you with electric or convection ovens, this may not be necessary.
When we are at the dock, I use my Instant Pot on the yogurt setting to proof the dough. But if you are at anchor and conserving batteries or you don’t have an Instant Pot, A bowl with a towel and a warm, draft free location works well. Same thing with kneading the dough – hand kneading achieves the same goal.
My dough recipe uses oil to grease the pan – this is crucial if you like a crispy crust. The oil and the hot, hot oven combine for a perfectly crispy crust in only about 15 minutes.
Boat Tested and Tasted!
This Deep Dish Pizza Dough recipe was boat tested and tasted on a 1978 Tollycraft 37 Sedan using a MagicChef Propane range. See other boat tested and tasted recipes.
Deep Dish Pizza Crust (Plant Based)
- 1/2 cup warm water - Do not use hot water or it will kill the yeast and your dough will not rise.
- 1 1/8 tsp active dry yeast - See notes if using instant yeast
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp olive oil - plus more for brushing bowl and pizza pan
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose or bread flour
- In the bowl of a mixer fitted with a dough hook, pour the warm water in and sprinkle with yeast. Let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sugar, oil, salt, garlic and oregano into yeast mixture. Stir.
- With the mixer on low, knead for about five minutes (until a dough ball forms). Transfer dough to your oiled Instant Pot liner and turn dough to coat with oil. Set to yogurt setting for 1 hour. The dough should double in size. (Or oil a large bowl, cover the dough with a towel and set in a warm, draft free spot).
- Once dough has risen. (see notes below for making the dough ahead of time)
- Preheat oven to 500°F.
- Oil pizza pan generously (bottom and sides).
- Place dough into pizza pan and stretch / push into shape. Let rest for about 5 minutes before adding your favourite toppings.
- Bake in hot oven for 12-15 minutes (until crust is brown and cheese is melted).
Stay safe and happy cruising!
Wordless Wednesday – Bread Edition - Wife on a Boat
September 18, 2022 at 3:02 am
[…] Deep Dish Pizza Crust – get my recipe […]
Smoked Oyster, Bacon & Spinach Deep Dish Pizza ⚓ Wife on a Boat
January 4, 2023 at 1:40 pm
[…] research, I decided to try the Instant Pot to proof the dough. Which works perfectly! And now my Deep Dish Pizza Dough recipe is all I use when it comes to pizza on a […]
Shrimp Scampi Deep Dish Pizza ⚓ Wife on a Boat
January 4, 2023 at 2:38 pm
[…] Scampi refers to shrimp served in garlic butter and dry white wine with bread, or over pasta or rice. So why not pizza? And specifically deep dish pizza? This is a decadent dish that is great for special dinners and easy enough for a Tuesday! And it works perfectly with my Deep Dish Pizza Dough. […]