Baking on a boat is pretty much the same as on land. Except for the size of the galley and the need to conserve electricity when on the hook. That’s where these Peanut Butter Chocolate Banana Bites come in handy!
Just a few ingredients, two cooking utensils and one bowl are all you need for a tasty and, pretty much, healthy treat.
Regardless if your kitchen is on land, tied up at a marina or secured with a anchor in your favourite bay, these little morsels of peanut butter & chocolate are great for breakfast, with afternoon tea or in a lunch box.
In fact, they make a regular appearance in my handsome hubby’s lunch when we’re doing the work thing.
Making Peanut Butter Chocolate Banana Bites on a Boat
One of my favourite tricks when making anything with bananas and peanut butter is to mash them all together. Instead of mashing the bananas and then trying to mix the peanut butter afterwards.
It’s just so much easier to let the masher do the work and then a quick stir with a spatula before adding the rest of the ingredients.
While regular chocolate chips will work, mini chips are infinitely better. They fit the bite size treats better and give a better chocolate to peanut butter/banana ratio.
And the recipe does say the nuts are optional, but unless there is a nut allergy, please don’t skip them – they add that little something something.
I love using my mini muffin tin to bake these. It’s the perfect size for the bites and they bake nice and quick – important when cooking with a propane oven.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Banana Bites
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup chopped nuts - your favourite - I like pecans
- pinch of salt - omit if your peanut butter includes salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F. If necessary, grease a mini muffin tin (mine is non-stick so it doesn't need it but sometimes it's better to be safe than sorry).
- In a medium bowl, mash bananas with peanut butter before giving a quick stir to make sure the peanut butter is fully incorporated.
- Stir in oats and vanilla until well combined. Add chocolate chips and nuts and stir until everything is mixed together nicely.
- Spoon mixture into mini muffin tin - be sure to fill the cups to the top as these bites do not rise - what you see is what you get.
- Bake for 15 minutes and let cool for 10 minutes before removing from the muffin tin.
- Enjoy warm or store in container in fridge for up to 5 days.
Boat Tested and Tasted!
These Peanut Butter Chocolate Banana Bites were tested and tasted on a 1978 Tollycraft 37 Sedan using a MagicChef Propane Stove. See other boat tested and tasted recipes.
Stay safe and happy cruising!
Leave a Comment