Unless you are a pizza, the answer is yes. I can live without you.
Covid-19 kept us from our favourite pizza joint for way too long! But it couldn’t keep us from enjoying this Smoked Oyster, Bacon & Spinach Deep Dish Pizza inspired by San Remos Pizza and Pasta in Port Coquitlam.
Making Smoked Oyster, Bacon & Spinach Deep Dish Pizza on a boat
The biggest stumbling block was the crust. Bread and bread type products have not worked for me since we moved to the boat. I struggled to find the perfect (or really even an acceptable) spot for them to rise. After some research, I decided to try the Instant Pot to proof the dough. Which works perfectly! And now my Deep Dish Pizza Dough recipe is all I use when it comes to pizza on a boat.
For the smoked oysters, my handsome hubby has smoked oysters in our little propane smoker and I’ve used canned smoked oysters. Both work. If using canned means you get to eat pizza more often, use canned. The majority of the time I used the canned.
For the bacon, I cut an entire package into bite size pieces and fry it until just about crispy. What I don’t use in the pizza, I put in the freezer for other uses like handsome hubby’s breakfast casserole, salads or more pizza!
A while back, I started cubing my mozzarella instead of shredding it – so much easier and quicker. Or use cheese curds – these are my favourite cheese for pizza!!! Seriously, give it a try.
And the final tip – make sure your oven is hot and your pan is well oiled. That is the key to a crispy crust and gooey cheese.
Boat Tested and Tasted!
This Smoked Oyster, Bacon & Spinach Deep Dish Pizza was boat tested and tasted on a 1978 Tollycraft 37 Sedan using a MagicChef Propane Oven. See other boat tested and tasted recipes.
Smoked Oyster, Bacon and Spinach Deep Dish Pizza
Pizza Sauce (or your favourite pre-made sauce) [makes enough for 4 pizzas]
- 1 can - 157 ml tomato paste
- 1 can - 398 ml tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp sugar - to taste
- 2 cloves garlic
- Seasonings to taste: basil - oregano, parsley, red pepper flakes, thyme, fennel seed, onion powder, pepper, salt
Make The Pizza
- pizza dough
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 2 handfuls spinach
- 1 can smoked oysters - or smoke your own, drained if using canned
- 1/3 package bacon - chopped and cooked
- 2 cups cheese curds or mozzarella cheese - cubed
- Oregano, parsley and Parmesan - for topping
- Your favourite pizza dough or this Deep Dish Pizza Dough
- Mix all ingredients in a saucepan and simmer while dough is rising.
- Freeze leftover pizza sauce
- Once the dough has risen, preheat oven to 500° degrees F.
- Oil pizza pan (I use a 8" cake pan) generously (bottom and sides). Place dough into pizza pan and stretch / push into shape. Let rest for about 5 minutes before adding
- Spread pizza sauce over crust, then place spinach over sauce. Add 1/2 of cheese, followed by oysters and bacon. Top with remaining cheese and sprinkle oregano, parsley and grated Parmesan cheese over top.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese and sauce are bubbly. Let rest for 5-10 minutes before cutting, then serve immediately. And careful it’s hot!
Beer and Pizza on a Boat - Wife on a Boat
September 20, 2022 at 2:03 am
[…] unsurprisingly, handsome hubby’s Smoked Oyster & Bacon Deep Dish Pizza creation does not have a direct beer and pizza […]
Life on a Boat During a Pandemic - Wife on a Boat
September 20, 2022 at 2:18 am
[…] favourite pizza joint for National Deep Dish Pizza Day. But it couldn’t keep us from enjoying Smoked Oyster, Bacon & Spinach Deep Dish Pizza inspired by San Remos Pizza and Pasta in Port Coquitlam. Handsome Hubby had fun smoking some […]
Life on a Boat: January 2023 - Wife on a Boat
February 24, 2023 at 9:58 am
[…] Smoked Oyster, Bacon & Spinach Pizza: Had to have pizza night while HH’s son was visiting. […]