Scampi = shrimp served in garlic butter and dry white wine with bread, or over pasta or rice. So why not pizza? And specifically deep dish pizza. This Shrimp Scampi Deep Dish Pizza is great for special dinners and easy enough for a Tuesday (or Wednesday or Thursday…).
Making Shrimp Scampi Deep Dish Pizza on a boat
Even though this Shrimp Scampi Deep Dish Pizza recipe takes about two hours, most of that is passive while the dough rises and the pizza cooks.
I’m learning the key to making great pizza dough is patience and careful measuring and adhering to instructions. These are not among my strengths but with perseverance and a glass of wine (another bonus of this recipe is the leftover wine!), the pizza crust turned out great!
I try to buy shrimp sized 31/40 – or about bite sized. Any larger and they are hard to eat in pizza form. And why spend the time cutting them in half when you can just buy them the right size?
When sautéing the shrimp, I take it out of the pan while it is slightly pink. The shrimp will finish cooking in the oven and this keeps it from being over cooked – which nobody wants!
And the final tip – make sure your oven is hot and your pan is well oiled. That is the key to a crispy crust and gooey cheese.
Boat Tested and Tasted!
This Shrimp Scampi Deep Dish Pizza was boat tested and tasted on a 1978 Tollycraft 37 Sedan using a MagicChef Propane Oven. See other boat tested and tasted recipes.
Shrimp Scampi Deep Dish Pizza
- pizza dough
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- 1/4 cup white wine - Sauvignon Blanc is particularly good
- 1 lemon - zested and juiced
- 3/4 lb large prawns - 31-40 count, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups cheese curds or mozzarella cheese - cubed
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese - shredded
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 large handfuls fresh spinach
- Your favourite pizza dough or this Deep Dish Pizza Dough
Prep the Toppings
- While the dough is resting, in a large skillet, melt butter and oil over medium-low heat. Add the garlic, lemon juice and lemon zest and cook for one minute.
- Add the wine and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add shrimp and cook until slightly pink. Remove shrimp from skillet and set aside.
- Add spinach to skillet and cook until slightly wilted. Remove from heat.
Make the Pizza
- Once the dough has risen, preheat oven to 500° degrees F.
- Oil pizza pan (I use a 8" cake pan) generously (bottom and sides). Place dough into pizza pan and stretch / push into shape. Let rest for about 5 minutes before adding
- Spread spinach and garlic-lemon sauce on the pizza crust.
- Top with cheese curds (or mozzarella), shrimp, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes.
- Bake in hot oven (make sure it is fully pre-heated) for 12-15 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese and sauce are bubbly. Let rest for 5-10 minutes before cutting, then serve immediately. And careful it’s hot!
Leave a Comment