Everyone has their favourite comfort foods. For me, it’s dishes like macaroni and cheese, lasagna, chili and red beans and rice. And if a comfort food is easy to make, even better. Like this plant based Red Beans & Rice made in the slow cooker.
It uses dried red beans (no need to soak overnight) and everything gets dumped into the slow cooker for a few hours. It really couldn’t be much easier. And by making the rice in the Instant Pot, this truly is a hands off dinner that tastes like you spent hours slaving in the kitchen.
This is a good one for Sundays during football season. I can cheer for my teams without thinking about what to make for dinner. And the leftovers are even better the next day which makes for a pretty happy Monday.
Making Red Beans & Rice in a Slow Cooker on a Boat
This is one of the easiest recipes I make on the boat. It really is as simple as dump it and forget it! Mashing the beans at the end thickens the sauce but it can be skipped – definitely personal preference.
For the rice, I use my Instant Pot – much easier than trying to get my propane stove to simmer. This recipe from Amy & Jacky works perfectly for me: Perfect Instant Pot Rice.
This Red Beans & Rice (Plant Based, Slow Cooker) recipe was made on a 1978 Tollycraft 37 using a Crock Pot 4Qt. Oval Slow Cooker. See other boat tested and tasted recipes.
Red Beans & Rice (Plant Based, Slow Cooker)
Red beans and rice are one of my comfort foods and it doesn’t get much easier than this recipe! Dump everything into your slow-cooker and forget it. You don’t even have to soak the beans.
- 1 1/2 cups red beans (uncooked (1/2 pound))
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 celery ribs (chopped)
- 1/2 green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1/2 red bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 Field Roast sausage or other vegan sausage (sliced)
- Hot cooked long-grain rice
- Hot sauce (optional)
- Garnish: finely chopped green onions, finely chopped red onion
- Combine ingredients (up to sausage) in a 3 1/2 or 4-qt. slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH 6 hours or until beans are tender.
- Once beans are tender, switch slow-cooker to warm, mash beans with potato masher until about half are smushed, then add sliced sausage to heat.
- Serve red bean mixture over hot cooked rice, and, if desired, hot sauce. Garnish, if desired.
These Red Beans and Rice were made on a 37 foot Tollycraft (1978 Sedan) using a Crock Pot 4Qt. Oval Slow Cooker. See other boat tested and tasted recipes.
Stay safe and happy cruising!
Leave a Comment