Some days, it just doesn’t matter how organized or well-planned I am, dinner sneaks up on me. Or our planned 3 hour cruise takes longer (thanks currents and tides!!). That’s when I’m grateful for ‘bowl dinners’ like these plant based Roasted Veggie & Black Bean Bowls with Hummus Dressing.
Easy to make on a boat
It’s a rare day when we don’t have a yam or sweet potato, onion and a pepper on board. And we never leave shore without lots of beans – black, red, garbanzo etc. So even if cooking dinner is the last thing I’m in the mood to do, these are super quick and easy – most of the time is waiting for the veggies to roast in the oven!
Using a pre-made hummus (homemade or store bought) is a trick I learned one day when I wasn’t in the mood to deal with tahini. Now I use it as a dressing base for all sorts of bowls and salads. And by using a plain hummus, I can flavour it however I want. For this recipe, I keep it pretty simple to complement the spices on the roasted vegetables.
These Roasted Veggie & Black Bean Bowls with Hummus Dressing were made on a 37 foot Tollycraft using a MagicChef propane range. See other boat tested and tasted recipes.
Roasted Veggie & Black Bean Bowls with Hummus Dressing (Plant Based)
These veggie and black bean bowls are quick and easy to make. Perfect for a busy day or after a long passage. The dressing comes together in just a couple of minutes, thanks to using pre-made hummus.
- 1 medium yam or sweet potato (chopped*)
- 1/2 medium red onion (chopped*)
- 1 large bell pepper (chopped*, any colour)
- 1 jalapeno (diced (remove seeds for less heat))
- 1 1/2 cups black beans (cooked from dry or canned)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (to taste)
- 2 large handfuls fresh spinach
- 6 tbsp prepared plain hummus
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- water (to thin to desired consistency)
- Preheat oven to 400°. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray or line with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- Place chopped veggies into a medium-sized bowl and toss with oil and spices. Spread onto prepared baking sheet, trying to give space and in one layer. Roast for 15 minutes, rotate baking sheet and roast for another 15 minutes or until veggies are tender and starting to brown.
- While the veggies are cooking, prepare the hummus dressing by mixing the hummus, balsamic vinegar and lime juice together. Thin with water until desired consistency is reached – it should still be creamy.
- To make your bowls, place spinach into two bowls and top with with black beans and roasted veggies. Spoon hummus dressing on top and season with salt and pepper.
Chopped = pieces about 3/4 of inch or so – not so large they take forever to cook but still chunky for a good bite.
These Roasted Veggie and Black Bean Bowls were made on a 37 foot Tollycraft (1978 Sedan) using a MagicChef propane range. See other boat tested and tasted recipes.
Stay safe and happy cruising!