My Mondays are often busy with chores and catching up on emails, websites and social media. So dinner can sometimes sneak up on me and I’m either scrambling to make what I planned or just giving up and we head to the pub. That’s why these Marinated BBQ Portobello Mushroom Burgers are a game changer!
They are perfect for Meatless Monday, my hands-on time is minimal to say the least and they are just so good! I try to find mushroom caps that are close in size so they cook evenly. Using barbecue sauce makes the recipe flexible and I don’t have to make my own marinade (thus freeing up a good 10 minutes – which on some Mondays makes all the difference).
Grilling Marinated BBQ Portobello Mushroom Burgers on a Boat
Handsome Hubby usually grills the burgers while I’m finishing up the side and prepping the buns and toppings. Now, he is an accomplished griller but for these burgers, he puts on his watch. We find that seven minutes on each side is the optimal timing for tender and not too liquidy (yes, that is a word) portobello burgers. He starts with the tops down and then flips them over so the liquid that accumulates in the gills drains while the bottoms cooks.
As for sides, I usually make a salad since it’s nice and easy. Other options we enjoy are corn on a cob, baked sweet potato fries and soup (for cooler days) – basically anything you’d serve with a meat burger.
These Marinated Barbecue Portobello Mushroom Burgers were made on a 1978 Tollycraft 37 using a Dickinson Marine Sea-B-Que. See other boat tested and tasted recipes.
Marinated BBQ Portobello Mushroom Burgers (Vegan)
- 3 tbsp barbecue sauce of choice
- 2 portobello mushroom caps
- 2 buns**
- Toppings of choice - tomato slices red onion slices, lettuce/spinach leaves, mustard, mayo, etc
- Remove portobello stems and place mushrooms on plate or other shallow container.
- Rub barbecue sauce into the mushroom gills and tops. Place tops down and marinate for 30-60 minutes.
- Heat BBQ to medium-high heat. Once heated, place mushrooms on grill (tops down) for 7 minutes. Flip over and continue grilling for another 7 minutes. Mushrooms should be soft and have released most of their liquid.
- In the last few minutes, grill buns and then build your mushroom burgers with your favourite toppings.
Stay safe and happy cruising!
Leave a Comment