A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked.
Meal prep on a boat can come in handy. But with limited fridge and freezer space available, there is only so much room for a week’s worth of meals. But this egg casserole is one I always make so my handsome hubby has an easy and tasty breakfast before starting his work day.
When we lived on land and near his work, he made breakfast every morning. But now that we live on the boat, his commute is 25 minutes. And the galley shares a (thin) wall with our bedroom where I’m still sleeping. So he’s less likely to make himself something eggy (and nutritious).
To avoid costly and less healthy restaurant breakfasts everyday, egg casseroles work well. I did this in the past with mixed results. He liked being able to quickly heat his breakfast. But I was such a newbie in the kitchen, I used the same recipe over and over and over and over until he never wanted to see that casserole again!!
This time, I created a Choose Your Own Flavour Egg Casserole – kind of like the adventure books from when I was kid. This recipe provides lots of options for variety while keeping the basic cooking recipe the same. It’s great to use up veggies that are getting close to their best before date. And it’s so easy to mix flavours and textures so it seems like a new recipe every week.
Making a Choose Your Own Flavour Egg Casserole on a boat
This is an easy one to make on a boat. Simply prep the veggies and your other flavour enhancers and mix with the eggs in a baking dish.
I cut the casserole into four slices as they fit perfect in the individual containers and store in the fridge. Then he just grabs one in the morning, nukes it when he gets to work and enjoys a hot breakfast before starting his day.
And yes, he does generally work five days a week – restaurant breakfasts are now a treat once a week instead of being regular occurrence.
Boat Tested and Tasted!
This Choose Your Own Flavour Egg Casserole was boat tested and tasted on a 1978 Tollycraft 37 Sedan using a MagicChef Propane Oven. See other boat tested and tasted recipes.
Choose-Your-Own-Flavour Egg Casserole
Veggies – choose 3-5
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced
- 2 handfuls spinach
- 1/2 onion - red or yellow diced
- 1/2 bell pepper - any colour diced
- 1 medium potato diced
- 1 tomato diced
- 1/2 medium zucchini diced
- 1 small sweet potato diced
- 1 cup kale torn
- 1 jalapeno diced
Flavour enhancers – choose 2
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup shredded cheese - dairy or plant-based
- 2 oz feta cheese crumbled
- 2 oz chevre - goat cheese crumbled
- 1 can salmon
- 1/2 pound sausage - plant or meat-based
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 cup beans - black, kidney, chickpeas, etc drained (if using canned) or cooked
- Pickled jalapenos
Spices - choose 1
- 1 tbsp Mexican - (cumin, coriander, oregano, smoked paprika, chili powder)
- 1 tbsp Italian - (oregano, parsley, basil, marjoram, thyme, rosemary)
- 1 tbsp Greek - (oregano, thyme, marjoram, dill)
- Savoury - (1/2 tsp dried mustard, 1 tsp Siracha, 1 1/2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce)
- 6 eggs or 1/2 carton Liquid Egg
- 1/3 cup water
- Salt & pepper - to taste
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- If using sausage and/or bacon, cook completely in frying pan. Remove to bowl. Can use the same pan to sauté the veggies.
- Sauté veggies (except spinach/kale) in olive oil until soft but still some crunch. If using spinach and/or kale, wilt in pan after other veggies are done.
- Spray 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray. Spread cooked veggies evenly on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Spread flavour enhancers over top of vegetables.
- In bowl, whisk eggs with water and spices. Pour the eggs over the veggie mixture.
- Set oven to 375 F. Bake for 30 minutes
- Let sit until cool, cut into 4 pieces and put in individual dishes
Stay safe and happy cruising!
Leave a Comment