I love tacos. But I don’t love making tacos. It feels finicky to prep the filling and the toppings. Then, there are always leftover tortillas which I forget about and end up throwing out. Plus, a good taco is a messy taco. All of this is a long way of saying, I prefer taco salads. Especially this plant based / vegetarian (depends on your cheese) taco salad which we eat pretty much once a week during salad season.
If I say so myself (and I guess I am), this is as good as many I’ve had in restaurants and pubs. There’s just something about a meal in a bowl with lots of veggies and taco flavours. And while I do love a deep fried tortilla bowl, using just a few crumbled tortilla chips is healthier and just as good.
Juanita’s Tortilla Chips are our go-to chips for nachos and taco salads. In the before times, we brought back a bag or two whenever we visited Washington. So early on in the pandemic, I ordered a few bags delivered to us. Handsome hubby thought I was nuts to order that many chips. But with only a couple bags left, that border better open soon!!!
Making Taco Salad (Plant Based/Vegetarian) on a boat
This is an easy recipe. And one that can be customized to fit what you have on board or in your pantry. The vegetables are basically just a suggestion and what I tend to use. Although I do enjoy throwing a cucumber or other veggies in – especially if they need to be used up.
If we’re at a marina with lots of electricity, I prep dry beans in my Instant Pot. But if we’re on the hook, then it’s canned beans for the win. You’ll probably have some leftover beans.
Other than that, it’s mostly just chopping and mixing.
Boat Tested and Tasted!
This Taco Salad was boat tested and tasted on a 1978 Tollycraft 37 Sedan. See other boat tested and tasted recipes.
Taco Salad (Plant Based)
Taco Tuesday is fun. But I prefer Taco Salad Tuesday! This easy, quick and yummy salad is a perfect summer meal anywhere – on a boat, on land, in an RV…
- 4 cups lettuce (chopped (I use two romaine hearts))
- 1 cup grape tomatoes (halved)
- 1/2 bell pepper (any colour, diced)
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper (small diced)
- 1/4 cup red onion (diced)
- 1-19 ounce can red kidney beans (drained and rinsed (or make your own from dried))
- 1 avocado (sliced )
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo
- 1 cup salsa
- spices (cumin, coriander, oregano, paprika, etc to taste)
- 1 cup crushed tortilla chips ((I use Juanita’s Tortilla Chips – our absolute favourite!))
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (grated (vegan for a plant based salad))
- chopped cilantro (optional)
- In two large bowls, place lettuce and add vegetables and beans.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayo, salsa and spices. Drizzle over the veggies and beans and top with crushed tortilla chips and cheese. Finish with cilantro (if using).
Leave a Comment