I love all things jalapeño and cheese. And macaroni and cheese is an ultimate comfort food. Combining both of these loves equals perfection and the Instant Pot makes it so easy!! For a company worthy dish, pop this jalapeño macaroni and cheese in the oven for a few minutes.
Plant Based or Dairy
This recipe works whether you like your cheese and milk from plant or dairy sources. I generally use oat milk and plant based butter combined with whatever cheese is in the fridge or our mood.
Making Jalapeño Macaroni and Cheese on a Boat
I use my Instant Pot to make most pasta on the boat. It’s quicker than heating water on the propane stove, uses less water (a valuable commodity on a boat) and reduces the moisture released into the boat. Just make sure the pasta is in the broth to ensure it’s all cooked perfectly.
Adding vegetables is an easy way to make this a healthy and hearty dinner. I like to add mushrooms or kale before starting the Instant Pot. You can also add spinach with the cheese at the end – it just needs a couple of minutes to wilt.
Boat Tested and Tasted!
This Jalapeño Macaroni & Cheese was boat tested and tasted on a 1978 Tollycraft 37 Sedan using an Instant Pot 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker – 6 Qt. See other boat tested and tasted recipes.
Jalapeño Macaroni & Cheese (Instant Pot)
Jalapeños and cheese just go together like macaroni and cheese. And this easy recipe puts it all together in one tasty casserole. Eat it straight from the Instant Pot or pop it in the oven for a few minutes for a company worthy baked mac & cheese.
- 8 oz raw elbow macaroni (or noodles of choice)
- 2 cups broth
- 1-2 jalapenos (diced)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 3/4 cups shredded cheese (dairy or plant based)
- 1 tbsp butter (dairy or plant based)
- 1/4-1/2 cup milk (dairy or plant based)
- Add the uncooked macaroni, broth, spices and jalapeño to the Instant Pot.
- Place the lid on the pot and set to sealing. Cook on manual function, high pressure for 5 minutes. Then, do a quick release.
- Add the milk and butter, then the cheese to the pot in 3-4 handfuls, stirring in between each addition until smooth and creamy. Season as necessary to taste.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Place mac & cheese into oven safe casserole dish or individual ramekins and top with bread crumbs. Bake for 10-15 minutes, followed by 1 minute under the broiler or until top is crispy.
* Any combination of your favourite cheeses work well in this mac & cheese.
Want some more veggies? They are easy to add – mushrooms, kale, spinach or whatever strikes your fancy!
This Jalapeño Mac & Cheese was boat tested and tasted on a 1978 Tollycraft 37 Sedan using an Instant Pot 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker – 6 Qt. See other boat tested and tasted recipes.
Stay safe and happy cruising