Hamburger Helper out of the box was not something mom made when I was growing up. But I did try it when I first moved out on my own. I wasn’t a big fan of the powdered cheese, but it still tasted good (especially to a girl who didn’t really know how to cook). But eventually, it lost its allure and I all but forgot about it.
Then one day, I stumbled upon a recipe from Bohemian Vegan Kitchen for a stove-top vegan version. Intrigued, I set to work to tweak it to our tastes and make it in the Instant Pot. LOVE IT!!! Now this Vegan Hamburger Helper is a regular on the boat.
This Vegan Hamburger Helper was made on a 37 foot Tollycraft using an Instant Pot 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker – 6 Qt. See other boat tested recipes.
Hamburger Helper (Plant Based, Instant Pot)
- 2 tbsp canola or olive oil
- 1 medium onion - diced
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- 2 portobello mushrooms - crumbled
- 3 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups dairy-free milk
- 2 cups macaroni noodles
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups vegan cheddar cheese shreds
- chopped green onions - optional
- Heat Instant Pot using saute and add oil. Add onions and mushrooms to Instant Pot and saute for 2 minutes.
- Turn Instant Pot off, add garlic, paprika and nutritional yeast and heat for 1 minute.
- Stir in water, dairy-free milk, salt, pepper and macaroni noodles
- Set Instant Pot to manual for 6 minutes. Once cooking is complete, release pressure immediately.
- Stir in the vegan cheddar cheese until it melts and pasta thickens.
- Garnish with sliced green onions, if desired.
Stay safe and happy cruising!
Leave a Comment