I jumped on the Instant Pot bandwagon in 2016. And I pretty much wanted one to avoid soaking dried beans overnight (because I never remember).
But, beyond that feature, I had no idea what a pressure cooker could or could not do. Eventually, I tried some recipes but for the most part I used it to prep beans, chickpeas and lentils. Making a one-pot veggie pasta in my Instant Pot certainly never crossed my mind.
Then at a Tollycraft Boating Club event, a Tolly friend made spaghetti bolognese in her Instant Pot for our potluck dinner. And my mind was blown!!!
Perfect for liveaboards!
Now that we live full-time on the boat, my Instant Pot One-Pot Veggie Pasta is one of my go-tos. Why?
- It’s perfect when my handsome hubby is working late as it takes 30 minutes from start to finish.
- Some days I really don’t feel like cooking, and this is so easy it keeps us from take-out or the pub (well usually…).
- And it’s great to use vegetables nearing their best before date.
Try this recipe with your favourite marinara sauce, veggies and whatever spices you like. I love adding a Field Roast sausage and I almost always use up the last of my spinach.
About our boat
This One-Pot Veggie Pasta recipe was made on a 37 foot Tollycraft using an Instant Pot 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker – 6 Qt. See other boat tested recipes.
Easiest One-Pot Veggie Pasta and Sauce (Vegan, Instant Pot)
This is so easy, clean up is a breeze and the pasta is cooked perfectly every time! No more boiling water in one pot, heating sauce in another and using a pan to sauté veggies. It all comes together in less than 30 minutes!
- Olive oil or water for sautéing
- 1/2 onion (diced)
- 3 cups chopped veggies ((mushrooms,zucchini, pepper, etc).)
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 6 1/2 oz rotine pasta (or favourite short pasta (half of 375box). If using spaghetti, break it in half first)
- 3 cups pasta sauce ((or 680 ml))
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 handfuls fresh spinach
- 1 Field Roast sausage (chopped (Italian or smoked apple sage), optional)
- Select the “Sauté” mode on the Instant Pot.
- Heat olive oil or water. Sauté onion and chopped veggies for about 5 minutes
- Pour the 1 ½ cups water over veggies.
- Add pasta over water.
- Add pasta sauce over pasta, veggies and water. Do not stir but make sure the pasta is pushed under the sauce.
- Sprinkle Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes over the pasta sauce.
- Set to manual and cook on high pressure for 6 minutes. Use quick release once Instant Pot beeps.
- Add spinach and sausage to Instant Pot. Stir to incorporate, heat sausage and wilt spinach.
This recipe was made on a 37 foot Tollycraft using an Instant Pot 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker – 6 Qt. See other boat tested and tasted recipes.
Stay safe and happy cruising!