The answer to “What time is it?” is always “pasta time”.
I jumped on the Instant Pot bandwagon in 2016. And I pretty much wanted one to avoid soaking dried beans overnight (because I never remember).
But, beyond that feature, I had no idea what a pressure cooker could or could not do. Eventually, I tried some recipes but for the most part I used it to prep beans, chickpeas and lentils. Making an easy and tasty Vegan Pasta in my Instant Pot certainly never crossed my mind.
Then at a Tollycraft Boating Club event, a Tolly friend made spaghetti bolognese in her Instant Pot for our potluck dinner. And my mind was blown!!!
Making Instant Pot Vegan Pasta on a boat
Now that we live full-time on the boat, my Instant Pot One-Pot Veggie Pasta is one of my go-tos. Why?
- It’s perfect when my handsome hubby is working late as it takes 30 minutes from start to finish.
- Some days I really don’t feel like cooking, and this is so easy it keeps us from take-out or the pub (well usually…).
- And it’s a great use for vegetables nearing their best before date.
Try this recipe with your favourite marinara sauce, veggies and whatever spices you like. I love adding a Field Roast sausage and I almost always use up the last of my spinach.
Boat Tested and Tasted
This Instant Pot Vegan Pasta was boat tested and tasted on our 37 foot Tollycraft using an Instant Pot 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker – 6 Qt. See other boat tested recipes.
Go to Collections
Easiest Instant Pot Vegan Pasta
This is so easy, clean up is a breeze and the pasta is cooked perfectly every time! No more boiling water in one pot, heating sauce in another and using a pan to sauté veggies. The Instant Pot makes this vegan pasta together in less than 30 minutes!
- Olive oil or water for sautéing
- 1/2 onion diced
- 3 cups chopped veggies - mushrooms, zucchini, pepper, etc.
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 6 1/2 oz rotini pasta - or favourite short pasta (half of 375 gram box. If using spaghetti, break it in half first)
- 3 cups pasta sauce - or 680 ml
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 handfuls fresh spinach
- 1 Field Roast sausage chopped - Italian or smoked apple sage, optional
Select the “Sauté” mode on the Instant Pot.
Heat olive oil or water. Sauté onion and chopped veggies for about 5 minutes
Pour the 1 ½ cups water over veggies.
Add pasta over water.
Add pasta sauce over pasta, veggies and water. Do not stir but make sure the pasta is pushed under the sauce.
Sprinkle Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes over the pasta sauce.
Set to manual and cook on high pressure for 6 minutes. Use quick release once Instant Pot beeps.
Add spinach and sausage to Instant Pot. Stir to incorporate, heat sausage and wilt spinach.
Stay safe and happy cruising!