One-Pot Veggie Pasta (Plant Based, Instant Pot)
I jumped on the Instant Pot bandwagon in 2016. And I pretty much wanted one to avoid soaking dried beans overnight (because I never remember). But beyond that feature, I had no idea what a pressure cooker could or could not do. Eventually, I tried some recipes but for the most part I used it to prep beans, chickpeas and lentils. Making a one-pot veggie pasta in my Instant Pot certainly never crossed my mind.
Then at a Tollycraft Boating Club event, a Tolly friend made spaghetti bolognese in her Instant Pot for our potluck dinner. And my mind was blown!!!
Perfect for liveaboards!
Now that we live full-time on the boat, my Instant Pot One-Pot Veggie Pasta is one of my go-tos. Why?
- It’s perfect when my handsome hubby is working late as it takes 30 minutes from start to finish.
- Some days I really don’t feel like cooking, and this is so easy it keeps us from take-out or the pub (well usually…).
- And it’s great to use vegetables nearing their best before date.
Try this recipe with your favourite marinara sauce, veggies and whatever spices you like. I love adding a Field Roast sausage and I almost always use up the last of my spinach.
About our boat
This One-Pot Veggie Pasta recipe was made on a 37 foot Tollycraft using an Instant Pot 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker – 6 Qt. See other boat tested recipes.
- Olive oil or water for sautéing
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 3 cups chopped veggies, (mushrooms,zucchini, pepper, etc).
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 6 1/2 oz rotine pasta, or favourite short pasta (half of 375box). If using spaghetti, break it in half first
- 3 cups pasta sauce, (or 680 ml)
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 handfuls fresh spinach
- 1 Field Roast sausage, chopped (Italian or smoked apple sage), optional
Select the “Sauté” mode on the Instant Pot.
Heat olive oil or water. Sauté onion and chopped veggies for about 5 minutes
Pour the 1 ½ cups water over veggies.
Add pasta over water.
Add pasta sauce over pasta, veggies and water. Do not stir but make sure the pasta is pushed under the sauce.
Sprinkle Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes over the pasta sauce.
Set to manual and cook on high pressure for 6 minutes. Use quick release once Instant Pot beeps.
Add spinach and sausage to Instant Pot. Stir to incorporate, heat sausage and wilt spinach.
Please leave a comment and share or rate it! And tag #wifeonaboat on your favourite social media.